http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Daniela's Little Adventures: Toronto experience

Friday, May 18, 2007

Toronto experience

Its been a hell of a time here in Toronto. First I slipped on snow and hurt the lower back. I still to this day am seeing a Chiropractor who has poked at me so many times. I have had acupuncture, massage and adjustments and still to no prevail. Im not motivated to look into more of Toronto's highlights due to the disability i have. Anyway i soon will be home. I have booked my ticker back to Auss however im surprising most people so I will not blog the date.

At the moment im still working in a Guesthouse in the Annex area of Toronto. It is a great spot. I have alot of Lebanese restaurants that serve the most pristine food. Reminds me of back home with Mirna. I have met the weird and the wonderful while managing this lovely ornate house. It took me 4 months to find a part time job. And after one month of working as a cashier at a health food store i was sacked. That seemed at the time incredibly frustrating however I have now seen that it was a blessing. Standing up wasnt all too good on the back and lifting stuck up peoples groceries was not so shabby either. The health store was the epitome of a lifestyle of paranoia. People were so worried about me scanning their products due to magnetic field properties infecting the molecules of the food. Come on people live a little. Thank god i was out of there. So now im jobless again. Thankgod I have a free roof over my head.

Canadians are very conservative and really are shy. No one says a spontaneous hello and it takes a while before they even talk about themselves to you. Warming up and being quite frank to them immediately, like us aussies are famous for, may be an offence. Toronto boasts itself on resaurants and culture, however I feel that the city is influenced by the US more than they put on. Its fast paced and has a 70's vibe. Hard to explain. The archeitecture is fab. The snow was shocking and terrential rains were odd for a city. The city also has distingused and developed 'areas' that you can visit and feel like you in a village. There is the likes of 'Little Italy', 'Little India', 'Greektown', 'Kensington Market' and of course a 'Chinatown', the biggest in North America. Toronto also has the highest tower, CN Tower and the longest inland sand beach.


I'm also concentrating on my artwork more and more since being here. Toronto is full of artists and musos who smoke the weed and get no sleep. thats probably why they seem quite. The brains arent really up to it. I have in my spare time...which is practically every hour, painting bursts. Here are a few of my paintings using arcylic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielaineurope/sets/72157600130189651/detail/